WHY SECURE THE “SECURITY PERIMETER” OF THE ORGANISATION?
Firewall is said to be the primary line of defense for an organization's network infrastructure. But this line of defense has its own set of weaknesses, that, if not addressed could cause havoc in the network environment. A few common weaknesses seen in the firewall are stated below, but are not confined to just these:
Firewall Configuration Review Strategy
The SecureLayer7 Firewall Configuration Review service follows a very strong methodology which performs a deep analysis of the firewall configuration. The review process takes into account the following:
Check for availability of vulnerability or bugs in the current hardware and software release.
- A complete review of all the hardware devices associated.
- Review of accounts set up on the firewall and the operating system.
- Check for possible hardware or software malfunction in the firewall and OS logs.
- Review the comments for all the rules in the ruleset for proper justification.
- Check for vulnerabilities in the encryption and hashing process.
- Verify if the rules provide the least possible privileges.
- Review the vendors licensing
- Review the firewall for the enabled services.
- Review overall firewall configuration and rule sets deployed on the firewall.
- Recommendations related to improvement in security provided by the firewall and in the overall device configuration.